Be a Responsible Pet Owner
Dog ownership has many benefits, but with ownership also comes responsibility. Bylaw #4495, the Dog Bylaw lists the following items as duties of a dog owner in the City of Moose Jaw.
- No owner or keeper of a dog shall permit his dog or dogs on any school ground, playground or posted parkland area except when the owner or keeper is attending a recognized training or obedience school for training his/her dog.
- Any owner of any dog found chasing any pedestrian, vehicle, horse or any other animal, on a public thoroughfare shall be in violation of Bylaw #4495
- A female dog in heat shall be confined and housed in the residence of the owner or person having control of the dog, or taken to a licensed kennel during the whole period that the dog is in heat; except that a female dog may be allowed outside the said residence for the sole purpose of permitting the dog to defecate on the premises of the owner.
- If a dog defecates on any public or private property other than the property of its owner, the owner or keeper shall cause such defecation to be removed immediately. Where the owner of a dog fails to remove such defecation immediately, the owner shall be in violation of Bylaw # 4495
- No owner or keeper shall permit his dog or dogs to damage public or private property.
- Every owner of a dog shall:
- Provide his or her dog with a collar; and
- Keep the tag issued securely fixed on the dog’s collar at all times.
- Every person requested by the License Inspector to do so shall forthwith deliver to him/her a statement in writing of the number of dogs owned by him/her.
- No owner shall permit any dog to be running at large in the City of Moose Jaw nor shall use a leash longer than two(2) meters in length when the dog is off the premises of the owner.
- The City offers a dog park available to all licensed dogs located in the Hamilton Flats area of the City.
Any dog not licensed after March 31, 2017 is in contravention of the Dog Bylaw (owners are subject to a $40.00 fine). A license for a dog is $15.00 if the dog is spayed or neutered. All other licenses are $40.00. Dog Licenses can be purchased at City Hall and the Moose Jaw Humane Society (694-4414)
The City of Moose Jaw understands the joys of pet ownership, but must also ensure pet owners do not infringe upon the rights of all citizens.
Please remember, dogs of any age need to be licensed in the City of Moose Jaw.