News Release - Cast Iron Water Main Replacement Project Update
Cast Iron Water Main Replacement Project Update
MOOSE JAW - Phase 1 of the City’s Cast Iron Water Main Replacement Project is nearing completion, despite weather and other unforeseen delays. Faulty valves and the colder, wet weather experienced over the last month have delayed the project by approximately 2.5 weeks. The lack of dry, warmer weather has also delayed the asphalt portion of the project by approximately 3 weeks.
Project progress by site location
- Complete: 8th Avenue NW; 9th Avenue NW (Edmonton to Francis Streets); 4th Avenue (Athabasca to Hochelaga Streets); Ominica Street (6th to 8th Avenues); Main Street (Caribou to Ross).
- 6th Avenaue (Grandview to Vaughan Streets) – All underground work complete. Open to traffic. Awaiting asphalt overlay, weather permitting.
- Manitoba Street (1st to Main) – Poor weather and faulty valves have delayed this project. However, progress is being made and weather permitting, should be complete within two weeks.
- 3rd Avenue (Manitoba to River) & River Street (3rd to 2nd) – Scheduled to be connected to temporary water on October 20.
Summary of the steps involved in each site:
- Contractor appointments are set up with property owners who have submitted signed agreements. The contractor does a site visit to confirm connection material and to discuss scope of work with the property owner.
- The contractor notifies residents 3-4 days prior to temporary water being hooked up, indicating that access to their property will be required to provide temporary water.
- Once temporary water is supplied to residents on the cast iron main, the contractor replaces the main and service connections (as requested by property owners). The lines are pressure tested and disinfected and water quality and safety is confirmed through samples sent to the provincial lab.
- Concrete replacement, and installation of sub-base and base is completed.
- Asphalt repairs to trench locations are made, and the entire street is recapped with new pavement.
The City’s interactive map indicates Phase 1, Phase 2 and completed Phase 1 sites. http://citymj.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=0967d15edb43451aae5a3cb23a63f84a
For additional information on the Cast iron Water main Replacement program please visit the FAQ at http://www.moosejaw.ca/cast-iron-water-mains/faq .
Safety As with all projects, safety comes first. City Engineering reminds residents and children to stay a safe distance from equipment and to slow down when passing crews. Pedestrians and drivers are asked to obey barricades and detour signs to ensure safety of workers in the area.
P: 306-694-4406 C: 306-513-8980