News Release - The City of Moose Jaw’s Cast Iron Upgrade Program – UPDATE Delivering safe, sustainable, reliable essential services
The City of Moose Jaw’s Cast Iron Upgrade Program – UPDATE Delivering safe, sustainable, reliable essential services
MOOSE JAW - The Saskatchewan Municipal Board approved Phase 1 of the Cast Iron Water main Upgrade Local Improvement Program (LIP) on March 9, 2016. The third and final reading of Bylaw #5518 – Cast Iron Upgrade Construction Bylaw – Phase 1 – occurred last night and was passed by City Council.
This Bylaw allows the commencement of construction to replace the cast iron pipes with PVC (plastic) to ensure a clean, healthy water supply for Moose Jaw now and for future generations.
A contractor has been secured for the project and construction will commence soon. Many variables are involved (equipment, weather, scheduling, etc.) that will ultimately determine the timeline for construction and completion of Phase 1.
Residents will not be billed until all of the work in Phase 1 has been completed under the LIP. This could occur in fall/early winter 2016-2017.
Options for residents to pay under the LIP program are as follows:
- Pay lump sum at once
- Finance for 20 years at 4% rate of interest, to be applied to property taxes.
Construction costs for property owners will be based on frontage of rectangular properties and is currently estimated at $1857/metre ($566/foot). Costs for irregularly shaped lots (eg. pie-shaped) will be based on a calculated frontage. Under the LIP, property owners will pay 30% and the City will cover the remaining 70%.
For example, on a 50 foot lot, total cost could be approximately $28, 300. The property owner’s portion would be $8490 and the City could cover the remaining $19, 810.
Infrastructure replacement could include:
- New water main
- New hydrants
- New valves
- Service connection from the main to the property line
- Replacement of lead lines and no-corrode lines to the building
- Recapping of the entire roadway.
Residents without lead will be able to choose whether or not the service connections on their property will be replaced.
The City will provide updates as Phase 1 moves forward. For more information, please see www.moosejaw.ca.
Carol Reynolds-Wittman, Communications Manager
P: (306) – 694-4406
C: (306) 513-8980