News Release - First Phase of Cast Iron Water Main Program Set
First Phase of Cast Iron Water Main Program Set
MOOSE JAW - Last night, City Council approved the recommendation of the Executive Committee regarding the first phase of the cast iron water main replacement program.
The areas under which the City intends to conduct the first phase of the program are now listed. They are slated for completion in spring 2016. The coming winter months will be used to approve the process through a Local Improvement Program with the Saskatchewan Municipal Board. Residents impacted by the spring 2016 program can expect to receive notification about it over the next few months.
The selected areas include some of the sections of pipe that have experienced the most water main breaks in recent years. These represent areas that have been the most negatively impacted by the old water mains.
Water mains scheduled to be replaced with the spring 2016 program include:
- Ominica St. between 6th NE and 8th Ave. NE
- 9th NW between Edmonton St. and Francis St.
- 4th NE between Athabasca St. E and Hochelaga St. E
- Main St. N between Caribou St. and Ross St.
- Manitoba St. W between Main St. N and 1st NW
- 6th SW between Vaughan St. W and Grandview St. W
- Keith Cres. between 6th SW and 7th Ave. SW
- River St. W between 2nd NW and 3rd Ave. NW
- 3rd NW between Manitoba St. W and River St. W
- 8th NW between Oxford St. W and Hall St. W
The City will also use the opportunity to renew other infrastructure in these areas including:
- replacement of associated valves, hydrants, and hydrant leads;
- replacement of water service connections from the water main to the property line. It will also be mandatory to upgrade from the property line to the building where the water service connection is comprised of lead, or optional if the water service connection is comprised of other material;
- replacement of no-corrode sanitary sewer connections from the sanitary main to the property line; and
- repaving the top layer of road.
Each area is expected to take about one month to complete.
As approved in spring 2015, the City will pay for 70 per cent of the program through a Local Improvement Program while property owners will cover the remaining 30 per cent.
The estimated cost per linear metre for assessable properties is $1,857.68. As a result, the estimated cost for the average property in the 2016 portion of the program is $7,474.12 if prepaid or $549.96 per year for 20 years, which includes an interest rate of four per cent. Four per cent is the rate at which the City plans to borrow money. The 2016 program carries an overall estimated cost of $4.67 million. At this time, the costs are estimates. Final costs will not be known until the program is tendered and contractors enlisted to complete the work.
The proposed spring 2016 projects will encompass approximately 2.5 kilometres worth of water main. The entire program includes about 80 kilometres of water main and is expected to take approximately 20 years to complete.
The cast iron water main replacement program was approved in spring 2015 to attempt to repair the City’s dilapidated water mains, some of which are over 100 years old. They will be replaced with modern pipes with a projected lifespan of 75 years. In 2014, the City spent more than $2 million on unplanned cast iron water main repairs.
Director of Engineering
City of Moose Jaw