Automated Garbage Collection
In 2008 the City of Moose Jaw implemented an automated garbage collection system throughout the City. This system has allowed garbage collection to be more convenient for residents while improving the appearance of neighborhoods (less litter) on collection day.
Automated collection has improve working conditions for City Sanitation Workers by drastically reducing work related injuries.
With this service, each residential property has been issued a 96-gallon cart for bagged trash. Only the City-issued carts can only be used with this new system; therefore, any trash placed outside the designated cart will not be collected.
|video 1||video 2||video 3|
We have included three videos which show how automated garbage pickup is done.
1. City crews will collect garbage with the automated trucks on your scheduled garbage collection day. Please note that the City will not empty old garbage cans, non-City of Moose Jaw automated bins or pick up bags left on the ground along the automated garbage route. Any garbage in excess of what your assigned automated bin will hold can be taken to the sanitary landfill and will be subject to a minimum landfill charge.
2. Record your serial number. This will help identify your container should it go missing. The serial number is on the front of the container.
What to do on collection day
- Set it out by 6 a.m.
Set out your container in the street by 6 a.m. (unless we have instructed you otherwise). Crews begin work at 6 a.m.
- Point it.
Place your container so the arrow on the lid points towards the centre of the street. The container’s wheels against the curb; the handle will face your property.
- Space it.
Place your container so there is at least 1 m (3 feet) of space on all sides and 3 m (10 feet) of clearance above. Make sure to leave 1 m between containers (about an arm’s length).
Preparing your garbage
- Drain and wrap wet waste to keep your garbage container clean and to avoid attracting insects and animals
- Bag diapers, kitty litter, animal excrement (small amounts only), cold ashes and sawdust
What Not to do
- Do not overfill your container.
- The lid on your container must close completely. Overfilled containers will not be emptied. Any garbage that doesn’t fit in your container must be saved until the next collection day.
Do not put these items in your container:
- Hot ashes or charcoal
- Dirt, sod, rocks
- Bricks, concrete, or metal
- Automobile tires
- Lead-acid batteries (e.g. car batteries)
- Paints, solvents or any liquids
- Flammable, toxic materials
- Carpet rolls
- Hazardous materials (e.g. pesticides)
- Construction materials (drywall, wood)
- Animal carcasses
- Used oil or oil filters
- TV’s or computer monitors
- Furniture or mattresses
- Medical waste (e.g. syringes)
- Propane tanks or cylinders
- Items over 0.6m (2 feet) in length, individual items over 23kg (50lbs) in weight
To find out how you can recycle or dispose of these and other items click on the link to recycling.